Monday, January 9, 2012

Absolute Contentment


It's been a while since I've felt content. Every morning I wake up to see a person who shares my love for life, inspiration to do good in the world, and to be the best person we can be. My life isn't perfect by definition. I'm not rich or completely successful in my business ventures, but what I do have makes me rich in life. I have my beautiful well balanced little girl who's figuring out the world and what she wants to do with it, a healthy loyal pup, true life long friends that I can be there for and vice versa, and an amazing partner to share it all with.

It's easy to mistake contentment in the pursuit of happiness as something that's temporary or material. I spent a lot of time thinking the way to reach that most desired feeling was through completing steps one through five. When really, it has more to do with finding appreciation for what you have that cannot be earned or replaced. Finding beauty in life, doing what you love, what you're passionate about all contributes to your contentment.

It took me awhile to figure out what exactly I can do that will continue to add to my contentment. I decided I'd like to try and work for Greenpeace. Everyday I'm inspired by Chris' passion for Greenpeace and their efforts to change the world. And all I can think when I see him excited to talk about the environment is, I want to do that. I always wondered growing up, how can I make a difference? I'm only one person. This is my answer. It's a choice that takes dedication, focus, and lots of studying.

I wish more people would realize that they don't have to stay in the same terrifyingly boring job, afraid to face tomorrow. That time is short and flies by faster than you think. Wake up and enjoy the sunlight, the song of the morning birds, the smile of a stranger. Life is what you make it and until you realize that, you will never be content.